Friday, May 22, 2009

10 Greatest Songs Ever...

...at least in my opinion...on this particular day.

I was tempted to write an article about the rough Game 1 loss by the Cavs, but I promised a music post, and I have my integrity as a blog writer to think about. This is actually a list I posted on Facebook, but I thought I would update it, add some commentary, and put it up on The Barker. Amazingly, it has been only about 10 months since I posted this list, and there are a lot of changes. The songs that were previously at 4, 5, 7, and 8 fell completely off the list, and there was lots of maneuvering. Unlike my most played list, I will stand behind every one of these songs. There are obviously lots of different criteria that could be used, but I think mine was a combination of enjoyability, personal meaning, and historical greatness. I encourage you to disagree with me and to make your own list. Try ordering them too, it definitely adds to the difficulty. Would love to see everyone’s attempt at this! 

With no more ado, here it is: 

10. 311 – Love Song: I realize this is a cover, but I like this version better. My apologies to The Cure.

9. Dave Matthews Band – Satellite: This has always been my favorite Dave song, but a funny thing has happened. When I was in college, I was kind of anti-Dave because of all the hype around him, and liking Dave became cliché and expected. But now that I am away from that environment, I find myself liking him more and more. It’s like the opposite of peer pressure.

8. Heart – Dog and Butterfly: Not one of Heart’s more popular songs, but it is definitely one of their best. If you haven’t heard this before, do yourself a favor and do so.

7. Elton John – Tiny Dancer: Was #2 on the last list, dropped due to no fault of its own but the amazingness of the songs ahead of it. The first of two songs on this list with connections to Almost Famous. I don’t know if that is because I like that movie so much that I end up loving the music, or that they just did such an amazing job picking music for that movie.

6. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here: No explanation necessary. Ironically, the basic pattern for this song is easy to play on the guitar, and I can almost do it.

5. The Format – On Your Porch: An incredible and emotion filled song by a highly underrated band.

4. Better Than Ezra – Lifetime: Somehow makes a song about death seem upbeat, almost a celebration of the life as opposed to a sadness for the passing.

3. Bayside – Winter: Back to back songs about death. This one is more on the sadness/mourning side of the coin, but still an great and powerful song. Went from unranked in the last list to #3.

2. Elton John – Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters: I’m as surprised as anyone that there are two Elton John songs on here. I couldn’t in good conscience get rid of Tiny Dancer, and I have gotten really into this song lately. Another one by a famous singer that is not considered one of their top hits.

1. Led Zeppelin - Going to California: The champ still holding strong! This is just an incredible on so many levels. I can put it on anytime, anywhere, and just drift away.

Alright everyone, the gauntlet has been laid down! Let's see some lists posted in comments, your own blogs, Facebook, wherever.

1 comment:

  1. I like this list, but I am going to try and post one of my own soon!

    ReplyDelete