Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ridiculous Music for Your Listen Pleasure?

I made this CD a while back, but I figured I would make it public and give you all a chance to judge and mock me (as well as possibly download these songs and enjoy their ridiculousness). There are 4 basic rules to make it onto this CD: a) the song has to be ridiculous, I think this is self-explanatory, and if you know any of these songs, you know what I am talking about, b) only one song per artist, c) the artist was serious when they wrote the song…yes, many Tenacious D songs are ridiculous, but Jack Black meant them to be that way, so they don’t count!, and d) at some level or in some particular mood, I enjoy the song, I realize that probably none of these songs are musically good, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a time or place when they can be enjoyed. That’s it, hope you enjoy and agree. Also, this is not a ranking of the songs, just all the songs that made the cut to be on this playlist, and the particular order I decided to put them in for listening purposes.

1. Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up: White dude, deep voice, trench coat…how can you go wrong?!?! Special shout out to Greg, Xtina, and Rossi for this song’s involvement in one of the craziest nights/mornings we have ever known!

2. Billy Ocean - Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car: Sure, could have gone with ‘When the Going Get Tough’, but this song is just more fun.

3. Night Ranger – Don’t Tell Me You Love Me: That’s right, the OTHER Night Ranger song!

4. Starship – Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now: That’s right, the OTHER Starship song.

5. Styx – Mr. Roboto – “Domo Arigoto, Mr. Roboto”

6. Toto – Africa: Forget being ridiculous and good, this song is just downright good! It has strangely survived the passage of time…and I have no idea how or why.

7. Paperboy – Ditty: A classic 90s “rap” song, which makes me long for the days when rap had a real beat, true rhymes, and quality lyrics, and didn’t just yell “ho”, “bitch”, and “yeah” for 3 and a half minutes.

8. Bel Biv Devoe – Poison: This song invokes very vivid memories of grade school “skating parties”. If you don’t know what one of those is, I am sad for you and whatever sad town you grew up in.

9. Color Me Badd – I Wanna Sex You Up: Another 90s classic.

10. Corey Hart – I Wear My Sunglasses at Night: Now forever associated with “My New Haircut”, but nonetheless, makes me smile whenever I hear it.

11. Poison – Cry Tough: There had to be a Bret Michaels song on here somewhere, this one is about as ridiculous as it gets.

12. Richie Sambora – Rosie: Who you might ask? This is the guitarist from Bon Jovi during his brief, and not very illustrious, solo career.

13. Steve Perry – Oh Sherrie: “Steeeevveee Perry!..Dude, I said no more Journey psycho-outs!” Speaking of random solo careers, the lead singer of Journey really belts out his only “hit”.

14. Mr. Mister – Broken Wings: “What? I can’t flex the golden pipes? It’s inspirational.” “This isn’t the venue.”

15. Cutting Crew – (I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight: “…it must have been something you said, I just died in your arms tonight!” Oh yeah!

16. TQ – Westside: This is about as sappy a tribute to 90s gangsta rap as you could possibly imagine.

17. Gerard McCann – Cry Little Sister: A ridiculous song in its own right, but also the theme song for one of the most ridiculous movies of all time: Lost Boys. (You may be asking yourself, is that the Corey's I see below, looking all sexy and awesome [and relatively not coked-out] in all of their 80's glory?!?! You're goddamn right it is!)

18. Wham –Last Christmas: I love this song, and I listen to it year round. I don’t care who knows it!

19. Foreigner – I Want To Know What Love Is: “…I want you to show me!”

20. Air Supply – Making Love Out of Nothing At All: If you’ve heard this song, you know why.

21. Barry Manilow – Ready to Take a Chance Again: “So if you want to be with him, you get back on that phone and you call Barry Manilow, and you tell him how you feel!”

3 comments:

  1. There is absolutely nothing ridiculous about "Died in your arms tonight." I still get goosebumps during the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I always thought the billy ocean song said "get outta my fridge, get into my car".
    2. the first time I heard cry little sister outside of Lost Boys was at the strip club.

    DeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things to do tongiht:
    Watch Lost Boys
    Re-Watch Lost Boys
    Talk about Lost Boys
    Re-Re-Watch Lost Boys

    ReplyDelete