Monday, April 20, 2009

27 Most Played Songs on My iTunes/iPod (Part 1)

Disclaimer: First of all, I got a new computer about a year and a half ago, which reset the play count on my iTunes. So this list is more the top songs I’ve gotten into in that time frame, as opposed to the most I’ve played ever. Second, I don’t claim these are the best songs in my collection, but they were good enough for me to listen to them all the way through quite a few times. But since iTunes automatically makes this playlist (and has so many other great functions I’m not sure I even listened to music before this program), what better place than here to start your musical education, then with songs so easily accessible and enjoyable that you can listen to them over and over again. The reason it is 27 songs is because of ties at 25. First half is below (counting backwards for suspense purposes), and the second half will be out on Thursday. For each artist and song, you will find the number of plays in parentheses, and short synopsis about the song and/or how/why I like it so much. I don’t apologize for any of these…although perhaps I should. For the majority of these, if you don’t have them, I recommend you get them (and I would be happy to make a mix for any of my loyal readers).

25. Thousand Foot Krutch – Absolute (21): This is a song I workout too on a regular basis, you will soon find that a lot of songs on here end up being from my workout mixes as I play those often. Sidebar, I am about to go running for the first time in almost 7 weeks, wish me luck…

25. Matt Nathanson – Answering Machine (21): I’m sure there are other versions of this song, but this is off his live, acoustic CD called At the Dig. Great artist, great disc, and even has some great dialogue between songs.

25. Boys Like Girls – Broken Man (21): The first Boys Like Girls song I ever had (well before they hit the Top 40 stations). I have since absorbed and loved the entire album, as will come up again later.

22. James Blunt – Goodbye My Lover (22): Blunt’s first CD was surprisingly good, and this song is better than the one that got all the airplay – “You’re Beautiful.”

22. Hanson – Georgia (22): If you haven’t heard this song, then you have no right to laugh. Yes, “Mmmbop” was bad, but I write that off to Hanson being young and easily influenced by parents, record-label, whatever. Believe it or not, they still make music, and much of what I have found is shockingly good.

22. Bowling For Soup – When We Die (22): Bowling for Soup is just a fun band for the most part with funny lyrics with lots of pop culture references (another song is entitled – “Val Kilmer” and actually makes reference to the movie Real Genius. On another sidebar, if you haven’t seen Real Genius, shame on you. However, this ballad is a break from those campy songs, and it is filled with raw emotion.

16. Saosin – You’re Not Alone (23): This had a short and quick run for me, but I still put it on from time to time. The rare song that is both highly emotional and highly motivational.

16. Poison – Until You Suffer Some (Fire and Ice) (23): I really have no idea how this got this many plays!?! I think I thought it was a fun song in conjunction with Rock of Love, it got onto a few playlists, and things just got way out of control. You know, like a drug habit.

16. Joshua Radin – What If You (23): Joshua Radin is what John Mayer wishes he was, and this is his best song to date. No offense to Mayer because he is quite talented, but due to his pop sensation appeal, has not been willing to branch out.

16. Funeral for a Friend – History (23): One of the few older (older being 2005, of course) songs to make this list. I am a fan of FFAF overall, but regardless of your musical taste, you will like this one.

16. Fall Out Boy – Thks Fr Th Mmrs (23): I’ve been a big FOB fan since long before they hit it big. I try not to fault them for their popularity and still enjoy their music on a regular basis. Many of their best songs are not as popish as the ones you hear on the radio…this is one of those popish songs, but is enjoyable nonetheless.

11. Skillet – Rebirthing (24): Another one that crept up the list, but this again is a workout song for me. Hard to believe I workout to a song with a violin, but somehow it works.

11. Framing Hanley – Lollipop (24): Ok, before anyone says anything…Yes, I realize this song is not particularly “good.” Yes, I realize it’s a Lil’ Wayne cover. But man, its just so much fun and pumps me up. I have only had this song for about a month, and pretty much throw it on once a day just for the heck of it.

11. DragonForce – Through the Fire and Flames (24): The first song on this list to get into my collection due to Guitar Hero 3 (more to come). What I can say? That game consumed a lot of time for me for a few months. This was the hardest song on the game, in part because the song itself is sped up to about 2 times the speed they actually played it, so I spent a fair amount of time trying to beat it. For the record, I can 4 star it on Medium and made it 97% through on Hard (I almost smashed the guitar when I got that close and failed). Expert level you ask? I think I got 3%...go ahead and give it a try.

That’s all for today, come back for the exciting conclusion on Thursday. J

1 comment:

  1. "...and things just got way out of control. You know, like a drug habit."

    Joe, I wish you could have been in my office when I read this line. I was dying and it was a great line to help me take a break from studying for a Stats final.

    In addition, the Framing Hanley – Lollipop song has a funny video (note the great acting at the start)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbUR0SRceD0

    ReplyDelete