Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why You Should Watch...How I Met Your Mother

I intend for this topic to be a recurring column. I watch a fair amount of TV shows, whether for a few episodes or for their entirety. Thus, I thought I would perform a public service and explain to you why some of them are so amazingly awesome that you shouldn't be wasting any more time NOT watching them.

I am currently catching up on the first 3 seasons of How I Met Your Mother. First off, is there a better and worse way to watch a TV show then through the DVDs. You don’t have to wait a week to find out what happens next like the rest of the world had to do at the time it aired. You get to absorb what writers, directors, actors, key grips, and sandwich platter guys spent years of their lives creating in just a few short days. On the flip side, if you do happen to get sucked into the show, it can be very difficult to keep yourself to just a few episodes at a time. You get into the whole “what’s 22 more minutes” zone. It can be dangerous to one’s productivity and ability to get ample sunlight.

On to the show, which is overal excellent, but I believe resonates with me so much because of its similarities to my life. The main character is a man (as am I, except on the first Friday of every month of, of course) in his mid/late 20s (which I currently am, and where I intend on remaining for about 8 more years). He is trying to find the woman who completes him, while not being completely comfortable/happy with the bar scene. He prefers hanging out at bars with his friends (where meeting said woman is highly unlikely) than going to a club (where other good things could happen, if you can somehow get a woman’s attention without losing your hearing, sweating through your only good outfit, and running a tab of 647 American dollars). Finally, he surrounds himself with an engaged couple (the majority of my friends are married or in the process of), an overly misogynistic guy (I’ve known a few…), and a female friend trying to help his cause (I have much love for the girls who have served this role in my life).

The characters are great in this show. Ted (Josh Radner) is the main character, and I think we’ve covered him pretty well. Jason Segel is brilliant as the goofy, engaged best friend Marshall, and thanks to the show being on network television, we are treated to less of his signature male nudity, ala Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up. Notice I said less, they still find a way to fit it in here and there. Alyson Hannigan, who I’ve always been a fan of and think is under-appreciatively hot, is more or less reprising her role from the American Pie franchise as Marshall's fiancee' Lily. And newcomer Cobie Smulders not only shows off her acting chops as Robin, but she ain’t bad eye candy either.

For this last character to be discussed, I am going to hand it over to the host of Inside the Actor’s Studio on Bravo. Ladies and Gentlemen, Dean Emeritus James Lipton.

(Applause)

Lipton: Thank you. Now I want to introduce you to, possibly, nay definitely...the greatest actor that has graced both the stage and screen...in the last ten thousand years. You may know as Neil, Doogie, or simply NPH. With no more ado...Neil Patrick Harris!

NPH: Thank you, James. It’s an honor to be here.

Lipton: When you were approached to play….the character Barney…for the new hit sitcom….How I Met Your Mother…what was your reaction? And what did you hope to accomplish with this character?

NPH: Well, James. I really just want to create a fun guy, terrified of commitment, who appears to be as misogynistic and selfish as one can be. However, deep down, he is just very vulnerable and cares deeply for his friends. Plus, I wanted to give some of the best body comedy and one-liners that people who can’t afford cable had every seen. All in all, I wanted to make sure it was LEG….END….wait for it…………DARY!

Lipton: Thank you, Neil. It has been an incredible experience for everyone in a 25 miles radius, and I can now die a happy man. Join me next week when my guest will be Drew Barrymore, who is an absolute delight! ha….ha…ha

Well, wasn’t that fun?...It wasn’t?!?...Well, screw you, stop reading then!

Anyway, I don’t want to give away too much of the show. But if the teaser of episodes about a Canadian Debbie Gibson, a cock-a-mouse, and penis shaped building doesn’t wet your appetite….well then this show probably isn’t for you. But if it does, then let’s SUIT UP!

3 comments:

  1. I love this show, but aren't you supposed to be watching something called March Madness instead of posting on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best show ever. Or, not quite. Let me rephrase:

    Best 30 minute show *ever*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great show, I've been watching it since late in the first season.

    ReplyDelete