Monday, March 23, 2009

Movie Review: I Love You, Man

So I don’t often make it out to the movie theater, especially unless it’s for a movie I have been psyched to see for a while (see: upcoming Harry Potter, Angels & Demons, & Transformers). I was partially reminder of why I don’t do this, since the STUDENT tickets were $7.50 a piece and medium popcorn and water came to another $9. On a complete side note, I don’t care what a movie theater, pizza chain, or fast food joint call their sizes (i.e. regular, extra large, and super value), if you have 3 sizes, then they are small, medium, and large. So despite not going to the movie theater in quite some time, my sister is in town this week for spring break, and we went to go see I Love You, Man last night.

Let me start off my saying that this movie is the poster child for bromance. What? You don’t know what a bromance is? As the not-so-famous son of the famous Bruce Jenner would say, “A bromance is you and your boys, hanging out, no B.S.” So as you probably got from the preview, Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd) is a real estate agent in L.A. who is getting married to Zoey (that girl from The Office that dated Jim before he finally got together with Pam), and he quickly realizes that he has no male friends to be in his wedding. This leads him to go on a series of “man dates” to find a best friend, where, as you can imagine hilarity ensues. Finally, as he is about to give up, he randomly meets Sydney (Jason Segel, who never shows more nudity than his shins in this movie…it’s a miracle!), and it’s a match made in heaven. How bromantic!

I really enjoyed this movie, and would give it a B+ (My sister gives it a B+ as well). This is surprising considering it relied a lot on uncomfortable humor, which I am not usually a huge fan of, but it made up for it with some great one-liners and fun character interactions (even if some of the characters did seem pretty one dimensional). It also involved a fair amount of Rush songs and jokes, and simply is no drummer better than Neil Peart! I imagine that a lot of the jokes are more relevant to guys because of the general bromance theme, but I think girls can relate to it from the standpoint of the fiancée/girlfriend and how she deals with losing time to the brolationship (Ok, I stretched a little on that one). Besides, its not actively uncomfortable for females, as some guy movies tend to be (I’ve been told Knocked Up fits into this category.

While my sister was a more than adequate companion for this movie adventure, I recommend taking the your best bro out with you and making a “man date” out of it!

Song of the Post: Rush – Tom Sawyer

Next entry coming this Wednesday: Whether your bracket is busted or not, come back and enjoy my ranking of the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA tourney. By the way, my main bracket is not busted, and I still have a chance at some big money in one of my pools.

1 comment:

  1. I think you mean Brody Jenner. Bruce is his dad. And yes, I have no life.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete