Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Breaking Up, Moving (On), & Starting a New Semester (Pt. 2)

Ok, welcome back to my life! I’ll get back to the sports and quirky posts soon, but as promised, here is part two of what has been going on with me lately.

So the new semester has started, and I am finally back to teaching my own class. It’s hard to believe its been 2 years since I’ve done so, but I find I’ve stepped back into it without much trouble at all. The material (research methods and design) is a little dry, but I spice it up as much as I can, add in some of my humor where possible, and the students seem to be engaged for the most part. Since I’ve never taught this full class before, it has taken me a fair amount of time to prep the classes and assignments, and the supervision portion of prepping the lab materials for TAs is more work than I anticipate (got a great group though, much love for any of my TAs reading this!). Bottom line, its great to be teaching again, and as much work and time as it takes, it feels like home to be in front of a classroom again. Can’t wait to do it for a real salary next year!

On that note, it is time for job applications again. Thus, on top of all this teaching, I am trying to finish up a couple of research projects and papers (so much fun!) to improve the resume and will soon be sending out a new batch of job applications. The market seems a little more open than last year (fingers crossed), and with another projects and service under my belt, I am hopefully an even more attractive applicant. I already sent out 2 apps to business schools with early deadlines (Cleveland St. & Illinois St.), and another group will be going out in the next 2-3 weeks. I will not bore you with every detail of what happens during this process, but I promise to keep everyone up-to-date on the big happenings. For those of you curious/worried about where I might be living next year, here are some of the upcoming openings I am most excited for, in no particular order: Univ. of Auburn (AL), Middle Tennessee State Univ. (tenure-track this time), University of Houston-Clear Lake, Texas State Univ.-San Marcos, Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, Butler University (IN), and Towson University (MD). I also recently heard that Bowling Green is hiring a junior faculty this year, but I have not seen the official advertisement yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me. USF and grad school have been amazing, but I think its about time I graduate and get a J.O.B.

As an addendum to the last post, I realized something the other day. I've always said I'm very laidback person, and I really don't let things bother me. Part of me has always thought it is because I have been very fortunate in life, and part of why I am usually happy and upbeat is because my life is pretty darn good and always has been. And that is most certainly true. But maybe its time to finally stop looking at my life as lucky. A good friend recently reminded me that you make your own luck in life (and I truly believe he is starting to find his luck and am super happy for him). The recent events of my life haven't been perfect. I had to make possibly the toughest decision of my life in deciding against taking a pretty good job, went through a tough break-up, had to move into 2 apts in the span of 5 weeks, and have been extremely bogged down with a very large amount of work, just to name the big stuff. At one point, I stepped back and actually had the thought that all of this would have floored some people, and caused major distress for many others. But I never let it get me down because I know good stuff is just around the corner, and I just need to make it happen. It's just the way I've always been. As one of my favorite quotes says (from one Mr. Van Wilder): "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive." And I don't say all this to make myself look good or gloat or anything like that. I just felt I needed to say it outloud because someone recently tried to tell me that part of being an adult is not being able to just "go with the flow."But I don't think that's true...I think being an adult is planning what you can, dealing with things when they come up, and living with the decisions you make. "Isn't that what makes a man, Mr. Lebowski?" "Sure, that a pair of testicles."

I think that will do for now. Enough of the boring, dry stuff, I am going to post some more football picks/analysis on Friday if I have the time (which I won’t, but I’ll need a study break anyway). And if I can get the website I’m working on going the way I want, that post should include something fun as well.

1 comment:

  1. You've earned every bit of your success Joe. There is no such thing as luck, just variance. Ride out the variance and just like in cards, you will end up a winner because you are a superior player (in life). You know I have your back.

    ReplyDelete